1 - 5 of 5
- ItemThe effects of salvia officinalis extract on modulating blood glucose levels in albino Rat(Napata College, 2022)This study was carried out to investigate the hypoglycemic effects of aqueous and methanol extract of salvia officinalis in glucose induced hyperglycemic rat (in vivo). Twenty rat were divided into four group each group contains five rats, each rat treated with glucose solution 1 g/kg body weight (glucose 50%) orally. Group I consider as control group, group II treated with glibenclamide, group III was treated by aqueous extract, group IV was treated by methanol extract and the blood glucose level was evaluated in time 0,30,60,120and 240 and recorded after that the result was analyzed and comparative with control group and group treated by glibenclamide using glucometer. During oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) aqueous extract of s. Officinalis leaves at 500 mg/kg doses clearly reduced blood glucose level in albino rat with percentage decrease of 64% as compared to standard drug glibenclamide (5 mg/kg) with percentage decrease of 75%. Methanol extraction 500mg/dl dose have the least percentage of decrease (32%) even less than control group 39%. These outcomes suggest that aqueous extract possess a hypoglycemic principle can be useful for the treatment of diabetes.
- ItemComparative in Vitro Quality Evaluation of Two Brands Of Folic Acid 5mg Tablets available at Sudan(Napata College, 2022)Folic acid is the synthetic version of the vitamin folate, also known as vitamin B9. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the pharmaceutical quality of the Folic acid tablets dispensed in sudan. Two different brands of immediate release Folic acid tablets were tested for weight variation , hardness, friability, disintegration time, and dissolution. The result showed all marketed products comply with established limit.
- ItemEffect of Garlic juice on Cholesterol Level in Albino Rats(Napata College, 2022)The main objective of this research work is to investigate the effect of garlic in changing the cholesterol level in albino rats. 18 rats were sub divided into 3 groups (each group contain 6 rats ) ,then groups are control group, statin group and garlic group. Control group of rats is administered a normal diet, group two rats were administered high cholesterol diet with one ml of prepared statin daily for one month Group 3 rats were administered to high cholesterol diet with 1 ml of prepared garlic juice daily for one month. Then after one month blood was collected from each rat separately and the cholesterol level was investigated by colorimeter. We found the garlic juice affect mainly Triglyceride level , 105mg/dl in normal group to 50.5mg/dl in garlic group and 117.5mg/dl in statin group. We recommend for further investigate the garlic effect on HDL and LDL levels.
- ItemEssential Oil from Eucalyptus camaldulensis: GC MS Profile, Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Properties(Napata College, 2023)Background: Natural plants as herbal remedies are being employed to prevent and cure several illnesses that vary in different community. Medicines had been explored from leaves, flowers and barks of plants. Continuous spread of infectious diseases is a major problem worldwide. Due to multiple and repeated issues with antibiotics efficacy, it became essential to evaluate biological properties of plants from different geographical origins. Eucalyptus camaldulensis (Family: Myrtaceae) leaves have been reported for various medicinal effects like antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-oxidant. Objectives: The objective of the present study is to determine the chemical composition and evaluation of two pharmacological activities; antimicrobial and antioxidant of E.camaldulensis essential oil. Methods: Essential oil was obtained by steam distillation method. And subjected to GC-MS to determine the active constituents. Antimicrobial activity applied with disc diffusion method whereas antioxidant activity was performed through DPPH assay. Result: GC-MS results of the pale yellow essential oil revealed a total of seventeen compounds which identified and representing 99.0% of the total oils. The major constituents of the oil were; Eucalyptol (34.15 %), P-Cymene (22.07%), (-) Globulol(9.14%),1H-Cycloprop[e]azulene, decahydro-1,1,7-trimethyl-4-m (8.17%), gamma.-Terpinene(5.60%). Antimicrobial activity against three pathogenic bacterial strains exhibited a good inhibition zone which ranged between 44 to 8mm at 12.5, 25 and50 30 μg/mL oil, whereas C. albicana obtained 40 to 12 at the same concentrations. The antioxidant activity demonstrated a weak activity (58±0.01) this inhibition is lower than that obtained by the standarad Propyl gallate (92±0.0). Conclusion: The important role that E.camaldulensis plant play in folk medicine has led us to develop this study in order to investigate the major pharmacological activities, so this plant can be used in future as a valuable source of pharmacologically active antioxidants and antimicrobial agents.
- ItemPolyvinylpyrrolidone Superdisintegrant: The Effect of Mode of Incorporation on Disintegration Time in Both Wet and Dry Granulated Tablets(Napata College, 2023)Introduction: Superdisintegrats are used in tablets and capsules to ensure a faster breakdown into their primary particles facilitating the dissolution and release of active pharmaceutical ingredients. Objective: To estimate the effect of PVP as superdisintegrant and its mode of incorporation on the disintegration time for both wet and dry granulated tablets. To decide which granulation method and incorporation mode is the best in decreasing disintegration time. Method: for both wet and dry granulated tablets formtion, three batches of placebo tablets were formulated for each. The PVP superdisintegrant were incorporated extragranulary, intragranulary and partly intraextragranulary. Then, formulations were compressed and tablets were subjected to disintegration time test. Results and conclusion: the results indicate that PVP exerts a great influence in tablets disintegration time when incorporated as superdisintegrant in wet granulated tablets. The partly intraextragranular mode achieved the best disintegration time in comparison to other modes