Anxiety and depression among mothers of children with intellectual and developmental disability in Khartoum, 2022

No Thumbnail Available
Tebian Elfadil Dirar Fadol
Samia Abd Almajeed Ahmed Mohammed
Samah Abdo Mahir Badr
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Napata College
Intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDDs) are disorders that are usually present at birth and that negatively affect the trajectory of the individual's physical, intellectual, and/or emotional development. .IDD" is the term often used to describe situations in which intellectual disability and other disabilities are present. In this study, The age group of mothers >15 years reported in (0%) of women , between 15-25 years (16%) , between 25-35 years (44%) and above 35 years (48%) , University level of education reported in (32%) , school in (34%) , educate (32%) and non reported in (10%) , Residence from rural areas reported in (42%) of people and from town (58%) , The age group of children >1 years reported in (19%) of children , between 1 - 5 years (33%) , between 5 - 10 years (31%) and above 10 years (17%) , children diagnosed during pregnancy reported in (16%) of children , neonate (33%) , infant (21%) , preschool (18%) and at school age (10%) , Children with cerebral palsy reported in (23%) , syndrome (53%) and with special needs (24%) , The level of disability reported in mild (39%) , modrate (24%) and in sever (37%) , The follow up of mothers during the pregnancy show (87%) with follow up and (13%) without follow up , 97% was counseled and 21% was not , The figure show 21% of children admitted to main stream , 60% to special centers and 19% stay at home , On academic achievement the ability to understand is poor in (37%) , good in (40%) and excellent in (23%) , On behavior of a children (25%) are calm and (75%) are with difficult contact with others , 32% of children with family history of disability and 68% without family history of disability , The effect of child illness on child life style is about 83% of children and the other 17% are normal or without effect , About marital status (73%) married and relative relation , (7%) divorced and (20%) window , The effect of illness on marital status is present in 56% of them , The social acceptance of child disability is poor in (43%) of children , good in (30%) and excellent in (27%) , anxiety symptoms that appears in mothers of children with illnesses is about (67%) , depression symptoms that appears in mothers of children with illnesses is about (33%) , financial status that is low in (61%) , modrate in(29%) and high in (10%) , 27% of affected mothers is on chronic medications and 73% are not on chronic medication and 86% of them doing physiotherapy and 14% not . Mental health providers need to be aware of these issues, so appropriate mental health screening can be utilized among the care givers of children with IDD. It is important that these mothers receive adequate support in order to manage their mental health so that they can better provide for their child's needs.